Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Roger's back with a win in hand

It's been quite a while since I have done a post.  I admit to having been in a bit of a funk since the end of the U.S. Open and the way it turned out on the men's side.  Without getting into it, let's just say the results in 2013 as to who has been winning almost everything has been a tennis nightmare for me.  

However, the fall season has begun and I am hoping for some results to get me excited again.  Let's start with the fact that Roger Federer is back on court!

 
After playing a very successful and fun doubles match on Monday with Chinese player Zhang in which he was able to get his feet wet again in competitive play, he also notched a straight set win in his first singles match since his surprising defeat in New York.  

My impression of the match was that he initially was struggling with rust, nerves, and just a lack of actual competition in the last several weeks.  He made way too many unforced errors in the first set and just seemed rather unsure of himself at times.  Thankfully, however, though he was down a break at one point, Seppi choked a bit himself and handed the break back.  Once Roger was able to break again to take the first set he showed much more confidence in the second, going for his shots more, his forehand looking much more reliable, and just seeming to find his comfort level.  

Of course, he will be looking to get as many points as possible to make sure he qualifies for the World Tour Finals in London.  He is currently in 7th place, but with Murray having officially withdrawn now due to his back surgery that makes it much more likely that he will be able to secure his place.  So he will be looking to find the confidence in his game to be able to close out this disappointing year on a high note.

I will leave this short and sweet as I try to get my feet wet in the blogging world again, but I hope to be reporting some continued good news as the week progresses.

No comments: