Friday, August 3, 2012

Marathon match to set up for gold

Wow, what a day!!  I didn't know if I was going to get up to watch the match live or not - one of the disadvantages of living on the west coast of the U.S. during European tournaments.  However, when I woke up at 4:20 a.m. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep because of wondering, so I got up and the match was just starting.  I didn't make my coffee yet because I thought it may be a quick two setter and I could go back to bed for a while before work.  Little did I know what the morning was going to hold!  After a disappointing first set and a scary second set that just barely ended well, I went and made the coffee, deciding I was up for the day.  I wonder what the match would have been like with a few less of those unexplained errors from the Fed?  Getting broken when serving for the match the first time was a big disappointment, and I couldn't help but wonder if the momentum was going to shift back to Delpo.  Who would have thought there would be 16 more games before the end!  Most Fedfans either have high blood pressure by now or very short fingernails after the tension.  What glorious relief when he finally came through in the end.  His interview on court was pretty quick as he sounded like he was choking back emotion.  He said later, "I was very tense at certain times.  I was seeing myself as a loser many times during the match."  Your fans are so glad it didn't turn out that way, Roger!



In every match there has to be a loser unfortunately, however.  Of Del Potro Roger said "I felt for him in a big way, because I've been there as well."  You couldn't help but feel bad for him seeing his tears at the end.  (This is the second time in a month Roger has had the losing player bury his head in Roger's shoulder in disappointment).  However, he is only 23 and will have a chance next time in Rio, closer to his own home nation in South America.  For Federer, even if he plays in four years, this is his time after missing out the last three.  Now he is assured of at least a silver medal if not gold for his trophy case.  

And, as a little side benefit, he gets to keep the #1 ranking a little longer, thanks to Andy Murray's win over Novak Djokovic in the other semifinal.  Though not quite as dramatic, the level of play in that match was very high, with the two of them throwing themselves all around the court in amazing retrieval of balls.  But for the home favorite Murray, who showed how deeply the Wimbledon loss affected him just a month ago, you can't help but be happy for him and the British crowd that he will get at least a silver medal.


I am happy that the Bryan Brothers get a chance to try for gold.  And I think Jo Wilfred Tsonga must have been offended that Fed-Delpo took the honor of the longest tennis match after his amazing battle with Raonic because he and Michael Llodra went 18-16 in the third set against Ferrer and Lopez to make the final against the Bryans.


And no surprise for the women.  Serena continues to crush her opponents.  Will Maria be able to make a dent?  


Would love to hear any predictions for any of the final matches!

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/02/3738853/roger-federer-advances-to-olympic.html#storylink=cpy






No comments: