Sunday, August 19, 2012

Roger does it again!!!

Roger Federer has done it again, winning another title in Cincinnati.  The numbers game just becomes more and more amazing - 5 Cincy titles (most of anyone), 6 titles in 2012, 9 since his devastating loss almost a year ago at the U.S. Open last year, will now continue to hold the #1 ranking, 292 weeks now and into at least the U.S. Open.  That's just the latest ones that come to mind, not to mention not getting broken the whole week, and taking a bagel set off former world #1 Novak Djokovic.  He sure is showing his age of 31, isn't he?!

I still haven't gotten to watch either his quarterfinal or semi yet, which are on the DVR, and had to wait about 10 hours to watch the final after spending a weekend away in the wild on the back of a motorcycle.  I was, however, checking the hubby's iphone for scores on Friday and Saturday to see if he was going to be in the final.  I wanted to wait and have the suspense for the final, however, so when my son texted me saying "I assume you watched the final?" and I noticed that the text came only 1 1/2 hours after the final started, I knew it had been a fast match.  Then I had to wonder for hours and hours which way it went.  I certainly wouldn't have believed a 6-0 first set, that's for sure!  Just shows how strange tennis scoring can be.  If Novak could have managed a couple more points in the tiebreak and pulled off the 2nd set, momentum could have changed and been a very different result.  However, Roger held strong and he pulled off a great win, showing he is well deserving of his number 1 ranking.  It's so great to see him staying mentally strong so much more often again then he was for a while.  Truly amazing.

I am looking forward to watching some of what I missed in the next couple days, including the women's final, while we count down the days for the U.S. Open.

No comments: