Friday, June 22, 2012

The men's draw from a Fedfan perspective

Well, here's proof that I'm a completely addicted tennis fan.  I woke up at a little after 3 a.m. and knew that the draw should be done.  Then I started worrying about who Federer was going to have in his quarter.  By 3:30 I knew I wasn't going to be able to go back to sleep so I figured I might as well just get up and look at the draw!  Thankfully they posted it very soon after the fact and I was back in bed before 4.

I must say I was pretty pleased with what I saw.  Sometimes it seems Fed gets the hard draws and Nadal the piece of cake ones.  This time the one who is going to have a struggle is Andy Murray.  His quarter is full of guys who can give him problems, including one Milos Raonic.  I have to say I was hoping Raonic would end up in Nadal's quarter.  I really would like to see how Rafa would handle that big power.  He does have Jo Wilfred Tsonga in his quarter, however.  Hopefully Jo's thumb has healed up and he will be fully fit.  Given that he took out Roger last year he could pose some problems.  Djokovic doesn't have a cake walk draw either, opening up against Juan Carlos Ferrero.  And his projected quarterfinal would be against Tomas Berdych.  Since Novak wasn't playing his best tennis at the French, it will be interesting to see how he comes out on grass.  Roger's most challenging opponent in his quarter would be either Tipsarevic or Isner (or I guess potentially Nalbandian, though not likely), both of whom he should be able to beat easier than a Tsonga or Berdych, unless Isner really comes alive.

I really think Roger has a good shot at it this year.  Assuming his hip is doing better and he is able to find his grass court form, he seems like he has the draw to be able to get it done.  Yes, he would have to get past Djokovic most likely.  However, we all know he has the game to beat him.  I think he wants it badly this year and personally I think he's going to do whatever it takes to get his 7th.  Oh man, makes me nervous just writing about it!  


Usually I look forward to the weekends, but right now I just want it to be Monday! Let the games begin!!

No comments: