Monday, June 25, 2012

What a start!

I just had to use this picture of Roger, because that great smile has got to be the way Fed fans are feeling today.  Wow, what a start for the incredibly classy guy who will go back to #1 if he can claim his 7th Wimbledon title.  Although obviously his opponent today isn't a grass court player whatsoever, it was still awesome to see him getting break after break, hitting some electrifying winners, trying some serve and volley, hitting aces, and the list goes on.  While I realize that you can't always read a lot into a first round match, whether good or bad, at this point, after seeing him struggle the whole two weeks in the last grand slam, it's just ultra encouraging to see him play a quick and beautiful match.  For some reason I have just a quiet confidence in his chances to win this year.  

And while I have gotten very used to upsets in the women's draw pretty much every single time, I wasn't prepared for some of them on the men's side, particularly Gulbis taking out Berdych.  Wow!  I didn't get to see much of the match so I need to go back and watch some highlights.  Sounds like Ernie played an amazing match.  I cringed when Isner went to a fifth set, feeling like he wasn't going to pull it out this time.  It's looking like grass just isn't his surface.  Hopefully he will be able to mentally turn things around before the hard court season later this summer.  And it will be interesting to see if Almagro is able to pull out of a two set deficit to Rochus.  That would be pretty surprising to me if Almagro lost in the first round.  Makes me wonder what tomorrow will hold!

And I have to quote this tweet from Rene Stauffer:  "Talked to two different swiss called Roger Federer - and both of them don't play tennis. Amazing."  When asked if they were named after Roger he said "No both are older. One hates it, always gets wrong calls and stuff. The other one thinks its funny. They even know each other."    I thought that was pretty funny!

No comments: